Monday, December 16, 2013

Pig skin is not a good snack

My first week in Honduras has certainly been an interesting exerience.

I'm pretty sure I ate pig skin for lunch today. It was just okay. Wierdly crunchy.

I had another ¨welcome to the mission¨moment yesterday. I woke up and didn't feel well. Then some unmentionable things happened in the bathroom for about an hour and a half. It was rough.

On Saturday we helped la familia Duarte put up their Christmas tree. It was nice to do something that kind of felt like home. Ha ha When we pulled the tree out of storage there was a gecko in the box!!

On Saturday I thought about going home about twenty times. I felt like I wasnt doing the work that i came here to do. I can't get to know any of the members or do any contacting or anything because I don't speak the language. I know that things will get easier with time. I just need to keep working at it. It has made me feel etter to talk to some of the other american missionaries and find out that I'm not the only one who has come out of a lesson and asked their companion ¨were those people members or investigator?¨

Yesterday was a lot beter. We taught la familia Castellon a lesson on faith and I bore my testimony at the end. As we sat there wth that family I was reminded that I am here for them. That I can work through these first difficult months if I means I get to see this family grow closer with the help of the gospel.

We also taught Dennis Soto and his wife. He is a member and she isn't. I didn't understand everything but I think she is going to be baptized and he has a goal to be ready to baptize her. They hace a two year old son and he is super cute. It was amazing to see how happy they were. I didnt know what was going on during every part of the lesson but I felt the Spirit and that's the important part.

Ha ha At one point Dennis asked his son where his shoes were and I had to stop myself from laughing. I just thought it was funny that it all cultures parents are asking their children where their shoes are.

Also, shoutout to Elder Judkins who inspired me to learn to beatbox. Hermana Calpa and I can't chat about much, so I practice while we walk. I'll beatbox while humming Called to Serve or something like that and I think it sounds super cool. Hermana Calpa thinks it's funny. I dont know if she knows what beatboxing is...

All I eat here is rice beans and meat. and Baleadas. I also get served lots of Pepsi.

Yo se que Jesucristo vive. Se que el evangelio es verdadero. Se que mi llamamiento es de Dios. 

Love you all. Have a great week. Find something to smile about today.

Love,
Hermana Odekirk

Baleadas eaten: 14

No comments:

Post a Comment