Monday, April 21, 2014

Have I mentioned I love Honduras?‏

Well guys, this week has been super exciting! Tela is great! I would say well over half of my area is paved here, so no longer feel like I just got off the pioneer treck everyday. We have only had running water in our apartment one day since I´ve been here, so it´s bucket showers with pila water for me. At least the water here is luke warm, I love it!
 
I am realizing that Olanchito was a lot like Utah. It is a valley surrounded by mountains. Even in Mexico I was surrounded by mountains.  It feels weird.
 
Sometimes I think it would be great to be serving in the states where I could have a cell phone and a car and someone to give me thanksgiving dinner, but then I go to the beach on pday and I remember that I don´t want to be anywhere except Honduras! Hermana Alfaro and I walked to the beach this morning took pictures and sat on the pier. It was super cool! Tela is so green and has tons of hills. Now that I´m over all the I´m- in-a-third-world-country shock that I got in December I am really enjoying being here in Honduras.
 
I  got an email from Hermana Zamora and she told me that my convert Manuel has a calling!!  He is in the young mens presidency! I am so happy for him. He is so solid.
 
In other news, I thought working in Bella Vista in a branch of 150 people was small but then I got to Tela where we had 53 people in sacrament meeting yesterday and my eyes were opened. Our branch president is 20 something years old. Elder Burwell and Elder Lopez blessed the sacrament and then one Deacon and guy who is about 50 passed it. The sunday school teacher for the youth didn´t come so we taught their class. We had all of the youth in the branch and there were five of them. One of Presidente Klein´s counslars came to our branch and we had a meeting with him. The first thing he said to me was, "Usted toca piano?" The hymns during sacrament meeting were pathetic and sad sounding so he is going to work on getting us a keyboard that actually works and Elder Burwell and I are going take turns playing. I should´ve practiced hymns more when I played the piano. He also said to us that we need to work with the less actives more. He said if we don´t baptize, esta bien, we don´t baptize. Elder Burwell said he wants to see this place have 100 people is sacrament meeting before he goes home in May, so I´m going to do everything I can to make that happen.
 
I am super excited to be here! There is so much work to be done, I´m going to get to do so much here. In the words of Hermana Holdaway, "The gospel is SO true!" Truth. Everyday my testimony of this gospel is strengthened. I am so grateful for it´s influence in my life.
 
Love,
Hermana Odekirk

No comments:

Post a Comment